April 1, 2012

This is not a recap for the Cherry Blossom 10-Mile

Again.

I was supposed to run the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler today. I didn't.

After missing last year's race due my connecting flight departing 21 minutes early, I was determined to run the race again this year. When I was closed out of the lottery and Gia offered me her bib, I was ecstatic. A 10 mile run 3 weeks before Madrid would be the perfect tune up run to really test out my goal pace. Plus, it was another excuse to go to DC...and you all know how much I love going to DC.

Friday, I left work at 3:00, laced up my running shoes and headed out for 22 miles. I ran the West Side Highway up to Central Park, did a loop and a half of the park and made my way home.  I spent the majority of the run formulating my race plan for Cherry Blossom, making a packing list in my head and thinking about my thesis. Until the last 3 miles, I felt great. The last 3 miles were tough because I was running into the wind and battling my way through NYC traffic for most of it, but other than that I felt pretty good.

I got home, stretched, foam rolled and hopped in the shower and out of nowhere I felt like someone had just smacked me in the back with a bowling ball. I was in so much pain. I've had my fair share of back injuries and the excruciating pain I was in was very reminiscent of them. I popped 3 Advils and hopped into bed, starting to be concerned about making the trek to DC the next morning.

My alarm went off at 8am on Saturday and I couldn't get out of bed. I couldn't even roll over, I was in so much pain. Everything hurt. I spent 2 hours laying in bed before I forced myself up to take some more meds. At this point, I knew that Cherry Blossom was a far cry. There was no way I was going to run 10 miles if I couldn't even pull myself out of bed. I crawled back into bed and just laid there. There was nothing I could do. Around 2 pm, The Pilot came over, helped me out of bed and into decent clothes and we cabbed it to an urgent care center midtown.

A few X-Rays later, the doctor said that everything looked normal but that if I wasn't feeling better in 2-3 days that I would need to schedule an MRI. He gave me a narcotic, an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxer and told me to take them religiously and see how I'm feeling in 3 days.

So that's where I'm at. I'm trying to rest like the doctor said, but it's really hard to stay in any position for too long without the pain getting worse.

I'm trying to be optimistic. The doctor said I should be feeling better in 2-3 days. When I asked him about running, he just said I needed to rest and be smart but to ease back into it when I felt I could. So I'm hoping for a run by Wednesday-Thursday.

This week should have been my highest mileage week ever. It was peak week after all. Now, I'm officially tapering for Madrid and hoping that this injury will just some rest and that in a few days, I'll be back to normal. I know that I might be stupidly optimistic about this, but I can't afford to think of any alternative right now.

And one day, I will run the Cherry Blossom 10-miler. I may not have run it last year and I may not have run it this year but damn it, I will run that race. 

11 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling better, Christy! And 22 miles? You are amazing! I just know that you will be feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your back, hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed that everything is back to normal soon. Not to be TMI, but where are you in your cycle? Because that has made or broken runs (and the pain after) for me... Thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no!! Glad you got it checked out. I hope the meds will help with the pain and you feel better very soon. Sending you healing thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will run it one day! I believe in you. :) For now, I hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take care of yourself and don't push it. The more rest you get the more likely you'll be up and running in no time! Arnica is really good for sore muscles. I popped some muscles when I had pneumonia and was in extreme pain. I took it orally and applied a cream and wow, healed right up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw I'm so sorry you're feeling bad! :( One day you'll run it and it will be great. Feel better!

    Lauren
    www.laurensthoughts.com
    @lrstewar

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry honey! I hope you get to feeling better soon! :( Also, third times a charm? That's what I'm hoping works out anyway with the half I have planned this fall. I've signed up and not been able to run it two years in a row, this year will be THE year right?!?!? Ugh. I will give you a big hug on Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Optimism is good! Even if the recovery isn't as fast as you want, I believe being optimistic about it can only help. It sure beats the alternative, right? I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry you couldn't run CB! But your health is wayyy more important!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry you couldn't run CB! But your health is wayyy too important

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...