September 21, 2011

Sometimes I Like to Cook


Actually I love to cook and I do it a lot. I cook at least 2 meals a day for myself, I just don't really blog about it. But one of the things on my 25 Before 25 list is to cook all of the recipes in one of my cook book...something I've kept up with but haven't actually posted about since March...so let's see what I've been up to in the kitchen!

Back in April, I went and visited my family in Texas and decided to treat them to a nice, cooked dinner of roasted lamb with vegetables. Now, being a vegetarian, I skipped out on the meat but my family was tres impressed and my dad said it was the best damn lamb he had ever had! The vegetables, I did have, and they were impeccable! And since it's the Fall and you all love Fall so much, I'll share the recipe for these delicious Autumn veggies!

Roast Leg O'Lamb on a Bed of Onions
Autumn Roasted Vegetables
Recipe: Autumn Roasted Vegetables
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Clean, scrub and peel vegetables 1 cup each parsnips (or carrots), pumpkin (or butternut squash), red onions, sweet potatoes and 1/2 cup each chopped green onion bulbs (stalk and bulb), baby squash, bell peppers, eggplants.
-Toss veggies in a mixing bowl with 1/4 cup olive oil, sea salt and cracked black pepper, half a bunch of fresh thyme and 2 tablespoons parsley. 
-Place the parsnips, pumpkin, red onions, sweet potatoes and green onions in a roasting dish and bake for 25 minutes. 
-Add in the rest of the vegetables and cook for another 25 minutes. 

Next up: Avocado Bruschetta. I made this one warm summer evening after I'd gotten back from India when my aunt and cousin were coming over for dinner. Avocados, cherry tomatoes and cilantro marinated in a chili paste and lime juice mix? Fantastic!


Recipe #4 was a big fat failure. When it comes to food, The Pilot loves two things: coconut and pancakes, so I decided to take another recipe out of my the book Real Girls Eat and make him breakfast. Definitely not the best recipe in the book.

Coconut pancakes look delicious, but they weren't. 
There's a section on Japanese recipes in the cook book and while I've followed a seafood free diet for the last year, I decided to go big and have some sushi the other day. So I brought it home and made homemade Miso soup. Super easy, super fast and super delicious!

I added lots of mushrooms!
So there you have it, I do cook and I haven't been neglecting my recipes...just blogging about them! I have 11 more recipes to go so if you want to come over for dinner, let me know!

Have you cooked anything good lately? What's your favorite cookbook?





8 comments:

  1. Can you please make me Avocado Bruschetta????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look super yummy! And I love your pampered chef! I love those products! Well, some because I sell it and some because I just like it :) LOL!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that you love to cook! i LOVE the IDEA/THOUGHT of cooking recipes from cookbooks - so much so that i have a collection of cookbooks (love the pictures lol). but sadly, i don't actually cook from them that often.

    i hope to remedy that when i return home to toronto though! i plan on being "that friend" who regularly hosts dinner parties :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm it all looks SO yummy! That bruschetta looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm I want the recipe for that miso soup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That all looks so fantastic! I'll bring the wine and dessert :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it has been a delicious couple of months in your house! I am also cooking through a cookbook and have a list of things I want to cook. Those roasted Autumn veggies look so good - what cookbook are you cooking from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like cooking and then trying out new recipes and mixing flavors for traditional food recipes I had in mind.

    ncplh course

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...